Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Social Media Tips for Your Origami Owl® Business



Hey Hoot Mamas!  I hope you all had a wonderful New Years! We rang in 2014 with good food, good music, & great friends!  It was a fun, but low key kinda of evening….perfect for this girl! 

I hope you're having a great week! We have been hit with single digit temperatures and have not left the house in days it seems! Uggh! Happy New Year to us, right?!  How many more days until Spring again?


I shared this picture on my Facebook Fanpage of my the view from my home office window a few days ago.  The snow was really coming down and it was so nice to know that I could work from the convenience of my warm and cozy home and not have to venture out in the snow.  One of the many reasons why I love my job so much!

I am so excited for the New Year, it really is a time for new beginnings and new goals.  It is such a wonderful time of year where you can really take a step back and focus on what you would like to accomplish.  For me, it's all about focusing on my team and how I can help them be the best that they can be and help them in achieving their 2014 goals.  Two of my primary goals for my team would be to help them Grow into Leadership and also to teach them everything I can about Social Media.  I know these are the two topics that everyone can benefit from and I am so excited to get started!  I have so many ideas and plans, there is just not enough time in the day.  Who needs sleep though, right?  Today I am going to share with you one of the newest features of Facebook Fanpages which also happens to be a feature that has long been used as an essential feature of both Twitter and Instagram.  It's the ever so popular hashtag.

Hashtags are one of the easiest ways to reach outside of your circle of followers and are simply words that include the # sign in front of them.  When you use hashtags on a social media network like Instagram, you can search on it to see who else is using the same hashtag.  For example, when I post a Team Hoot Mama related photo on my Facebook Fan Page, I always use the hash tags #origamiowl and #hootmamalockets.   By using a # sign in front of a key word or phrase, it turns it into a hyperlink so when your readers click on it, they are able to see all of the other Facebook posts that use the same hashtags.


Here is an example from a Facebook post from my Fan page.  Can you see how I have used the hashtag #origamiowl and #hootmamalockets?  These two hashtags are highlighted in blue.  When you click on the #hootmamalockets hashtag, Facebook will bring you to all of the other posts using this particular hashtag.

See my office window picture?  That has popped up in the hashtag results since I also used that hashtag for that particular post too.  How cool is that?  If you were to scroll down, you would see all of my #hootmamalocket Facebook Fanpage posts.

Let's say a potential customer or team member is looking for an Origami Owl® Designer on Facebook.  They can perform a search on the #origamiowl hash tag and if you happen to use that hashtag in your Facebook posts, your post will pop up in their search results.  This is a wonderful way to reach those potential new customers or team members that are not even Fans of your Facebook Fan page!!   The same concept works for both Twitter and Instagram.  By using hashtags in your posts, you are providing yourself the opportunity to reach outside of your Facebook fan base.  More clicks leads to more fans and followers which then leads to new customers and team members.  

Do you use hashtags in your Facebook posts?  I challenge you to start using them today and watch your Fans and Followers increase in 2014!

Pin It
Want to follow my journey as an Origami Owl® Independent Designer?  Let's Connect on Instagram,Twitter,Facebook, or Subscribe

2 comments:

  1. Using hashtags is indeed a good idea to promote your business. But when you do it, it’s important to use proper keywords that will best link to your business or product. That way, your followers will easily identify it and connect with you. Thanks for sharing!

    Daniel Colon @ Cuidado Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s true. As social media grows, its usage and purpose has changed -- from its usual purpose of keeping people connected, to becoming a great tool for advertising one’s business. If your team will learn this technique, not only will your business succeed, but they would've gained a valuable skillset as well. Cheers!

    Julio Bradley @ Red Ape Media

    ReplyDelete